It's not that I mind sweating, but I am definitely not a fan of smelling.
The other day I was in The Body Shop because, as usual, they were having a sale and I had some birthday bucks AND a Groupon to use. Schwing! I was trying to figure out to get when I came across the DeoDry deodorant. The girl sold it pretty hard, and although I was skeptical I thought I'd give it a shot because it's only $5.
Upon reflection, it's not like $5 for deodorant is like a steal. I'm pretty sure that if you go to Walmart you can get a two pack of whatever you want for $5. But in the world of natural deodorants $5 is actually a good deal.
Here's the tagline -
Enjoy odor protection with our unique blend of volcanic minerals and refreshing essential oils with a cool, breezy scent. Contains no aluminum salts or parabens!
And here's supposedly why it works -
Community Trade aloe vera from Guatemala is renowned for its incredible soothing, hydrating and moisturizing properties — perfect for sensitive skin.
Community Trade alcohol is made from alcohol which comes from the organic sugar cane farmers of the CADO cooperative in Ecuador.
A unique volcanic mineral absorbs moisture to help keep you dry.
I've been using the DeoDry stick for about 3 weeks and here's what I think:
- It actually does a pretty decent job of controlling odor. I mean, by the end of an average day you're going to smell a bit, but it's nothing over powering or particularly noticeable (I made Tony smell my armpits to test this).
- If you shower at night you're going to need to wash up in the morning before you reapply.
- You're also definitely going to smell after you work out. Or at least I do. And strongly. I pretty much need to shower right away.
- It keeps you relatively dry, kind of. I say kind of because my underarms feel kind of sticky and wet, but it's from the deodorant, not actual sweat.
- You're not going to be able to get away with wearing sweaters a few times before you wash them. Maybe I'm gross, but in the past I could go a few wears before washing a sweater or a cardigan. Not any more. They get pretty smelly and icky after being worn for a day.
- I got the 'Chilled & Breezy' scent, but in retrospect maybe I should have gone with the 'Fresh & Floral' like the sales lady said because the Chilled & Breezy ends up making me smell a little bit like a dude.
- It hasn't decreased my underarm irritation at all. I was kind of hoping it would, but nope.
- If I was going to an actual even which I considered important, like a job interview or special occasion, I wouldn't use this product and instead would probably go for the old fashioned bad for you but effective stuff.